Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Just a little bit OCD

Lately, I've been noticing my behavior more than usual. More specifically, I've been noticing a few tendencies I have to, well, for lack of a better phrase, do certain things over and over, or think about certain things far too often. I have discovered that I have a real knack for obsessing. Here are just a few pieces of evidence:
  • I think/worry about my hair and weight/body almost every minute of every day (and that is not an exaggeration).
  • I completely stress out over anything coming up that is not part of my daily routine (going on trips, important meetings, social gatherings, etc.).
  • I must sleep on a specific side of the bed (the right, by the lamp) or I can't sleep well.
  • I must wash all dishes before going to bed. They cannot be left in the sink.
  • I must watch Golden Girls and Designing Women in the morning before going to work.
  • I check my e-mail (work and personal) about every five minutes throughout the day and even check my work e-mail repeatedly at night.
  • I must knock on wood, or in its absence, my head...or both...whenever I have a bad thought about something.
  • I am obsessed with reading my own writing. Yes, I read it over and over. This may be just a narcissistic or over-meticulous part of being a writer, but it still seems to fall within our category of discussion. Hell, I guarantee you I'll read this post about five more times today after I finish it.

So, I decided to really find out if I am, indeed, an obsessive compulsive personality...by taking an online quiz, of course. Here are my results:

Score: 50
While you don't appear to be completely obsessive, you do have some hang-ups about certain things. These idiosyncrasies could be about cleanliness or a specific area of your life, like work or relationships. Or they may simply be those little obsessive habits that most of us have, even though we know they are silly - like checking the mailbox twice…just to make sure! As long as these quirks are not preventing you from doing things or disturbing your life in any way - or the lives of those close to you - then there is probably no harm in them. Just keep them in check and you shouldn't run into any trouble.

In summary, I think I am a little OCD. Some of my "quirks" DO disturb my life, but I suppose those may be another issue altogether. And I know lots of people deal with similar issues (the knocking on wood, not so much, but the hair/weight, definitely). I know this is a real disease and it can really disrupt lives for those that have severe cases, but now I'm thinking... Maybe everyone is just a little bit OCD...or at least has obsessive facets of their personalities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet