Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bad luck or bad habits?

Maybe this is silly, but I get this feeling I am about to have some bad luck. This is mostly due to the fact that I keep breaking things, which is never a good sign. Breaking episode #1 occurred the day before yesterday as I was cleaning my mouse cage. I have this cute little bathroom cup that matches my shower curtain, and I put in on the edge of the toilet seat for a moment...I then turned away, and in the next second heard an awful noise behind me...the shattering of procelain on the hard floor. I experienced a moment of startled sadness as I realized my cute matching cup (that my mother bought for me) had ceased to exist.

Episode #2 occurred only minutes later after I began cleaning the cage, which is made out of glass. Annoyed that I couldn't get some shavings off the cage bottom, I began smacking the cage with my hand. Then, when that didn't work, I stupidly hit the entire cage against the carpet...aaaaand CRAAAACK. Another horrible noise. I idiotically had caused a large crack in the glass, rendering the cage useless. So poor mousie is now in his much smaller plastic cage, with no wheel and a very small water bottle, all thanks to my rash behavior.

The final episode occurred yesterday as I carried a few glasses into the kitchen. Somehow one of them jerked out of my hand and landed on the hard floor, again making that sad sad shattering noise. By this point, I'd had enough of cleaning broken glass, so I simply swept it into a pile and left it there. And there it remains.

What can I learn from all this? I have bad habits. Maybe I wouldn't be having so much "bad luck" if I (a) stopped being so impatient (b) took time to secure fragile things before leaving them precariously teetering on toilets or barely clasped in my hands, and (c) thought before I acted once in a while. Maybe then I would stop breaking things left and right. I shudder at what bad luck may befall me after these three omens. On that note, (d) maybe I should stop being so superstitious. I'm beginning to scare myself. But...as long as I don't break any mirrors, I'll be just fine.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there!

found my way to you through Matt's site :p
I really enjoyed reading you, you write so well :)

*adds you to her favourites* :p

grtz,
Marjolein
[http://spaces.msn.com/members/harshworldbedamned/]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet