Thursday, March 16, 2006

Another Year

I'm 24 today.



I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

A lot has happened in a year. It's amazing how much can go on in 365 days, and how much a life can change.

Let's see how mine has shifted since March 16, 2005.

July: I started this blog. I believe it's one of the best decisions I ever made. I've done some of my best writing here. I've met new and inspiring people. I've learned to search inside myself. And most importantly, I've learned not to be afraid of what I find.

May: My grandmother passed away. It broke my heart. It broke everyone's hearts, but most of all, it's impacted my grandfather. I know he misses her every day. I cannot imagine having a wonderful companion for 60+ years and then having to go on without them. We all miss her dearly.

July: I lived with a boy who just so happened to be my boyfriend, and I managed to piss my parents off quite a bit.

August: I went back to school, and am currently in my second semester as a graduate student. I'm pursuing something I love and it thrills me to no end.

October: The boy and I broke up, around the same time that two of my very good friends got engaged. I moved back in with my parents. At first, the lonliness enveloped me like a thick fog and I felt very sorry for myself. But slowly I realized that life can be just as sweet even without a boyfriend--even without that particular boyfriend.

January: My dad was diagnosed with cancer. You know all about this by now, but let me just say that it's always on my mind. Obviously, when I'm distracted with the every day happenings of life, I momentarily forget. But there's always that instant where it all comes rushing back. I'm not sure I'll ever fully accept it. I just wish it would go away. For him, for me, for everyone.

March-August: I traveled to North Carolina, Texas, Canada, New York, Connecticut, Massachussetts, and California (twice).

Anyway, those are the major highlights. I went over them all in my head as I was driving in this morning. I was feeling sort of melancholy about my birthday.

Yeah, it was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine. Yeah, my friends are going out to dinner with me tonight. Yeah, my life's really not so bad.

But I still had the overwhelming urge to cry.

Then I arrived at work and found a few pleasant surprises.

Myspace comments wishing me a Happy Birthday.

Facebook wall messages.

E-cards.

And a big bouqet of beautiful flowers waiting for me at the front desk. It's the first time anyone has sent me flowers. And it's not from some guy either, it's from two of my lovely girl friends.

Thanks guys, you've reminded me yet again to be grateful for the wonderful people I have in my life.

You've reminded me that today is not the day to wallow in the low points. It's a day for record highs.

So it comes down to this: The day may be only half over, but I simply couldn't ask for a better Birthday.

Butterflies are free to fly, and so they fly away
And I'm left to carry on and wonder why
Even through it all, I'm always on your side

7 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Lauren, happy birthday, dear! I've only known you a short amount of time, but I feel as though I've known you for years. You're right to treasure what you have now. Hope this year is full of more joyful and pleasant surprises! Keep smiling no matter what :)

Hugs,
Cinthia

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very very happy birthday! I'm glad to have met you. I wish you nothing but happiness this year, and hope you keep writing about it in your blog, you're a joy to read.
Enjoy dinner!

Three bday-kisses,
Matt

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Sleepy Girl said...

Cinthia and Matt: I'm so glad to have met both of you through blogging as well! Thanks for making my day a little brighter with your comments.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Sky said...

I have just started reading your blog and really enjoy it.

Have a wonderful birthday and hope this year will be the best one yet!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Happy birthday:) 24 is a good year!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Happy birthday. I think that your decision to blog was a good idea.
BTW, that was really nice of your girlfriends.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Sleepy Girl said...

Thanks everyone for the nice birthday wishes! I had a great day yesterday. Here's to an equally great 24th year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet