Thursday, March 09, 2006

This is how we party


While cruising on Myspace (translation: stalking people from high school) the other day, I came across quite a few profiles of people I knew. Well, I didn't so much know them as hate on them in high school for being pretty and popular.

But anyway, it's been five and a half years since we graduated, and these people look like they haven't changed a bit. Their profiles are all linked together, because they're all still BestFriendsForever. And they have all these pictures up of themselves dressed in their cheapest outfits at some club or another.

My blood began boiling as I looked at one particular girl's profile. In almost every single one of her pictures, she looks like a slut. Seriously. She's showing off so much skin and cleavage that I can't believe she owns any other type of clothing. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the very last picture and saw her dressed in (gasp!) a turtleneck and jeans. I almost didn't recognize her all covered up like that.

As for the rest of her pictures, she looks so un-classy, and yet she's proudly showing this off like it's some achievement. In fact, her profile suggests that her entire life consists of going out, drinking and dressing slutty.

So why does this bother me? I'm sure it's because people like her remind me of what I am not. She stands for everything that I am against.

I do not own one article of clothing that even comes close to the type of thing she wears on a night out.

I don't go out to clubs. In fact, I've never even been to one!

I don't get drunk and grind up against people on the dance floor.

I barely even frequent bars.

Why is it that I turned out this way, and she turned out the other way? What is it inside me that's turned me off to the clubbing mentality that so many other 20- and 30-somethings embrace?

I guess it goes back to upbringing. My parents were always protective and strict, not to mention conservative. In high school, I never went to the parties, never even had a more than a couple drinks in four years. I wasn't in that "cool" group.

Obviously, it's also about personality. I'm shy and I don't like attention or big groups of people. And that's caused me to make friends with similar people. I don't have a group of friends that goes out all the time, and I certainly don't have anyone to encourage this behavior.

And as much as I say I hate the club scene and all the people that go along with it, I'm not sure that's entirely the case. I only say that because I know I'm not part of that world.

Because I'm too afraid to have fun like they do.

Because I can't even get up and dance unless I have quite a few drinks in me.

I shudder to say this, but...I'm kind of jealous. I didn't used to be in that "cool" group, and I'm still not. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to change who I am--and I know I'm way cooler in my own right--I just feel like sometimes I'm missing out.

Maybe eventually I will learn how to party, too. It sure would be nice to let loose once a while--to really experience life as an almost 24-year-old single girl. Here's to hoping my inhibitions will loosen up a bit before I get too old to enjoy it anymore.

And for the record, I still think that girl looks like a slut. She needs a big dose of class, stat.

This is how we party,
fooling with your body,
come on everybody,
can't get enough of you.

4 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Mathieu said...

I recognize that jealousy thingy very well. I go to clubs maybe twice a year because some friends overpower me into it, but I always feel so out of place there. And in clubs I'm always jealous at the smooth dancing playboys.
The thing I do to top that is just consider my group of people as extremely cool, too. Even cooler. You should try it, it really works. When I'm discussing international politics with some friends in a dark bar very late at night, I think it's cool.
The thing is: cool is where you feel you belong, where you are and have to be.
And hell, I'm glad I'm not one of those friday-evening-til-monday-morning clubbers, they must have like no braincells left.;)

And remember this quote by Lester Bangs (Ph.S. Hoffman) in Almost Famous:

That's because we're uncool. And while women (men) will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls (boys), but we're smarter.

(for the record: I think you're cool!)

(for the other record: you'll learn about the outcome of sunday evening on monday, on my blurty of course. I'm sure you're not living through me, unless yóu want to get up at 4.30 in the morning for your internship!)

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't stand those "cool" people in HS. That's one reason why I chose a college where most of them were not going!

Of course, if any of these "cool" people ever run for office, you can always pull these pictures out for the negative ad campaign! Ha!

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I understand how you feel, but don't underrate yourself. I think there's a lot going on in YOUR life that those partiers are missing out on. If I were your age I would choose someone like you over someone like them in a heartbeat.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Sleepy Girl said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. You all make me feel very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet