Thursday, December 08, 2005

Here with me

I'm procrastinating again.

I've been attempting to write an article on ignition interlock devices, but after all the research I've done, I find myself rather sick of them. Does anyone know what they are besides me? I'm thinking unless you're a cop or working at a DMV, probably not. So, here: Interlocks are devices that prevent people from driving while intoxicated. They are wired into the car and function like very sophisticated breathalyzers. I think they are a wonderful idea and I advocate that they are built in to every new car. This would really cut down on meaningless, tragic drunk driving-related injuries and deaths.

Alright, so that's that. In other news, I'm currently listening to my new CD, 'The Ballads" by REO Speedwagon. It's great...it's all that monster ballad stuff that I love. It's smooth, punchy and inspirational. Plus, it has one of my all-time favorite songs, "Can't Fight This Feeling," which fills me with a little shot of joy every time I hear it. Seriously, that song is responsible for a lot of the things I accomplish in my life. It fuels my usually burned out fire.

Speaking of, another thing that fuels my fire lately is the PostSecret book. I certainly hope most of you have encountered PostSecret before, but if not, here's your chance. Put simply, it's an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. Most of the secrets are very compelling (similar to haikus) and they are often visually stimulating as well. The whole thing is just brilliant, and it gives us an insightful glimpse into human nature at its worst and its best.

Anyway, the book is wonderful, because it's just full of these secrets. I read through it in an hour, but I keep going back to it. It never gets old.

The secrets will also be on display this month in Georgetown. The guy who does this (Frank Warren) has received over 10,000 secrets. That means there's bound to be a bunch of new ones at the exhibit. And how interesting to read other people's most intimate thoughts with a bunch of strangers. It's like an experiment in itself, and I can't wait to be a part of it.

And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the latest cards on PostSecret (I visit the site every week, beautiful indeed)? There's one about Panda Cam!
Thought I should let you know in case you didn't already find out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet