Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Shit shit shit

I NEED HELP.

UW (my unwanted advancer--you must know who he is by now) is back. He came by my cube earlier and we chatted awkwardly as usual. Then my phone rang and my caller ID showed it was him. I didn't answer, and congratulated myself on avoiding a potential "situation."

But, alas, I cannot escape. He came back to my cube and asked me to do something with him. Outside of work, of course. For the second time in two months and for the what seems like the millionth time since I've started working with him.

So, he asked me to go to the 9:30 club with him Saturday night to see his friend's band play. Immediately, I am nice in my response, despite all my instincts. Here's the train wreck as it occurred, with my comments in bold. Keep in mind that I do not like this guy romantically and am not interested in dating him.

UW: "It'll be fun. You can get out."

Me: "Yeah, I never go out." Idiot! Why did I say that?!?

UW: "Do you listen to No Doubt?"

Me: "Yeah." Stop egging him on!

UW: "The band's kind of like that. It's ska."

Me: "Oh, I like ska." What is wrong with meeee?

UW: "Yeah, it'll be a blast."

Me: "Well, I'm not sure, but I'll let you know. I have your number." Oh, great, now he expects you to call him.

UW: "Okay, yeah, just let me know. I'm meeting some of my other friends there." Does he want me to meet his friends? This is bad.

Me: "Okay, I'll let you know."

UW: "Okay, just let me know." Um, calm down buddy.

Me: "OKAY."

Awkward silence. And then he leaves.

Alright, so I know I handled this situation completely wrong. I was way too nice and even encouraging. What the hell? Well, I think the problem is that for a moment there, I actually considered accepting his invitation. I've been so darn lonely. And I guess it made me feel good to be asked to do something. But when I think about it, I know that this would be a stupid move. Because I do not want a romantic relationship with UW. And I think that is what he expects.

Now the problem is that I have to somehow get out of this. But how? I need advice. Major advice.

Or maybe I should just suck it up and go with him? Can someone please let me know what they think? I've asked for advice from y'all before, and no one's given it, but it's an EMERGENCY this time, guys. Please, please just come out of obscurity for a few minutes and help me out. I'd appreciate it immensely.

1 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, first of all I have a confession to make. I secretly like it when you get into these awkward situation, because it leads to pretty entertaining posts!
Anyway, down to business. First of all...sort out if you're réally not interested in UW. You mentioned him more than once, and every time you were stressing the fact you're not into him. it almost seems like a façade..!
But if you're truly not into him, it may work to arrange something else that night (or just lie), and let him know you have other plans. It's rude, but it gives him the, correct, idea you're not that interested. Also, if you don't want to hurt his feelings, just act like a total bitchor something: make him stop wanting you.
Or just throw back a wodka and go out with him, and hell, maybe he has cool friends, and maybe the band's great. Maybe, just maybe, you'll actually have a good time.
good luck, and happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet