Monday, December 19, 2005

I have a confession to make...

... the Backstreet Boys friggin' ROCK.

Yes, I'm finally stating my love for them publicly. Well, not them per se, but their music. I've always been drawn to it, mostly because I love happy music. As I'm sure I've stated before, I love the stuff that motivates or inspires me, and the BBoys do this damn well.

What is *happy* music, you say? Well, as my college roommate S can probably tell you, it's upbeat with a lot of high-pitched singing and high notes. Yeah, S is not a big fan of said music, especially when I played it over and over in our dorm room until she wanted to throw my speakers out the window. Ask her about that "Runaway Train" song and she still cringes and shakes with rage.

Well, I am easily obsessed with music, and I've been listening to this one new BSB song ALL day, even in the car on the way to work. I don't get sick of it. It makes me SO giddy that it's practically a drug. And wow, those boys can sing. They hit those notes like only real men can.

To give you a little background...despite being a teenybopper during the big BSB craze, I was never a rabid fan. Sure, I had a crush on Nick Carter, but I'd never even seen them in concert. However, I have always appreciated their music and their beautiful way of harmonizing. Plus, their songs are all so damn catchy. Now, I do own two of their CDs, and those have burned a hole in my CD player more often than not over the years.

I guess now I'm sort of rediscovering the Boys. The last time I was this excited about one of their songs was back in 2000 with "The Shape of my Heart." I'd crank that thing up on my mp3 player headphones for hours. But after that, I forgot about my favorite sugary pop group for a few years...until a month or two ago, when I needed music I could sing along with during my horrendous commute to work.

So I dug up those old CDs and resumed my love affair. I scream the lyrics out as I sit in traffic. And it really does make my ride more bearable, along with the added bonus of preventing me from falling asleep while driving (no, seriously).

So, thank you, Backstreet Boys. You have impacted my life in a positive way. And no matter how washed up or silly people think you are, there's always a place for you in my playlist.

And may I just say...

I just want you to know
that I've been fighting to let you go
Some days I make it through
and then there's nights that never end
I wish that I could believe
that there's a day you'll come back to me
But still I have to say
I would do it all again
Just want you to know

I'm so glad you're back.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I just read this blog for the first time, and now I have that damn song in my head!!!! I HATE IT WITH A PASSION(haha..as we used to say) and that stupid whistler song as well (or are they the same song?). Those songs can jump off a cliff into a pile of crap. :0p

~your wonderful college roomie,
S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet