Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Lauren Morning

E-mail I received today from K, my no-longer boyfriend (I don't like the word "ex"):

Subject: A Lauren morning......

So I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock. 9:04 AM. I was in disbelief. I looked at my mobile and realized I wasn’t dreaming. I got ready for work and drove like a bat out of h3ll. Made it here before 10. I definitely thought of you.

K

In a word: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is quite possibly one of the best e-mails I have ever received, because he's just SO dead on with his analysis. The only difference between K's "Lauren morning" and a real morning in my life is that when I wake up past 9 am, I don't even bother trying to salvage the day. I just close my eyes and let it ride.

I am notorious for sleeping in on a regular basis. I've been doing it all my life. Without fail, if something important is going on, I'll attempt to sleep through it. In high school, when I had people coming over for a group project, the doorbell usually woke me up.

In college, when I had a presentation to give for my final linguistics project, I woke up after class had already started.

Fire alarm going off? No problem, I'm still sleeping.

I've perfected the art of rationalizing in order to catch a few more winks of sleep. It's a breeze for me to wake up late and start thinking wildly of some excuse that precludes me from actually getting out of bed. I love the feeling of rolling back over into a deep slumber, with not a care in the world.

I simply love sleeping. And nobody knows that better than K.

In college, he was the one who brought me lunch when I spent all day sleeping in his loft, skipping three classes in a row. If I had class before 1 pm, I couldn't make it there. I actually counted once, and I skipped my 10 am Italian class more times than I went to class. I ended up with a B for the semester...pretty damn good for a chronic skipper.

Now that I'm in the real world, I still have this problem. Every so often, I have a day where I can only force my eyes open long enough to shoot off an e-mail or a phone call to the office. Sleeping in is just a vital part of my survival.

Thanks for the e-mail, K. You made me smile, and that's something I really need right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet