Thursday, April 20, 2006

They're Everywhere

Men, guys and boys...

I see them in other cars as I drive to work. I see them at the ATM machine. I see them sitting outside eating lunch. I see them in the elevator, the parking garage, the sporting goods store, and every other conceivable place.

There is definitely no shortage of men around me. But there is a shortage of game. My game.

I ain't got one.

The guy in front of me in line at the bank today turned deliberately and smiled at me. He was cute in a boyish way, just my type. I smiled back.

And that's where it ended.

I stood there frantically trying to think of some way to initiate conversation, but in the five seconds that took me I got too winded or scared and gave up.

He moved forward to the ATM and finished his transaction as I stared at his cute outfit--nice-looking jeans and a blue collared shirt. It looked like he was depositing a paycheck.

Then he turned to leave, and lingered for a moment. He looked at me again as I stepped forward to the machine. I turned my back to him, and heard the familiar slap of the door closing as he undoubtedly left the building.

I quickly finished up my transaction and burst out into the decadent spring air. I stood there for a moment, looking left, then right. Could that be him walking away toward the metro in the distance?

If this was a movie, I would have run down the street in my heels, bounding after him with passion and fearlessness. I would have reached him in a matter of seconds, and tapped him gruffly on the shoulder.

He'd whirl around to face me with a look of surprise on his tanned face. I'd stand there, noticing his chiseled features, panting too hard to speak and not even caring about my hair, which was mussed perfectly by the wind. And I'd do nothing but stare back at him.

We'd share a special moment, right there in the middle of the sidewalk as people rushed around us to the metro. Someone nearby would start to play a saxophone. And it would be easy, and comfortable...and just perfect.

It would make the best story ever for our grandkids--the chance meeting at the ATM machine, the chase down the crowded street, the pure spring air.

Just like a dream.

But in real life? I let him walk away until he materialized into the crowd.

My life is not a movie. My life is not a dream. My life is far from... perfect.

And truly, these things don't happen to me very often. Cute men at ATM machines don't normally smile at me. It's not often that something inspires me to make up a cheesy movie fairy tale story.

Maybe today meant nothing at all. Maybe he smiles at everyone. Maybe he's happily married and has five kids.

But now I'll never know.

Life is all about having the guts to go for what you want. Having the gumption to grab hold of opportunities when they come your way.

Next time I'd better snatch that opportunity up... before it walks out the door of the Bank of America.

4 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know what you have to do! Now you just have to do it. :) Don't you just wish things were easier done than just said?

Good luck to you, dear. You can do it! If this guy took the time to smile at you a couple of times like that, it's probably because he thought you were cute! ;) And he's right!

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger ExBF said...

You know, I'm always tempted to try one of those stupid little movie moments, but then I remember that the last time I tried that, I broke my foot while trying to jump the creek in our backyard like Indiana Jones...and that kinda thing sticks with ya'.

That having been said, if you ever get your game back, let me know where you found it; maybe they have mine in their lost & found box, too...

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Gary said...

You could try the old drop the handkerchief trick. It's so old they've probably never seen it.

BTW, you're on the right track. You
realize you need to modify your game. That's a big step. Have fun.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Bone said...

I love this post.

I'm often not on my game when unexpectedly encountering girls. And spend the rest of the day coming up with what-I-should-have-saids.

Gotta laugh at it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet