Monday, May 08, 2006

Behind on Life

I do everything five years too late.

At least that's what I keep hearing lately.

In high school, I never cared about how I dressed. I didn't put in much effort to put outfits together or wear jewelry. And I absolutely hated shopping.

Now, I can easily drop hundreds of dollars on clothes, shoes, jewelry and purses.

I also never went out in high school. I never went to the parties, never did much of anything short of a movie or dinner with girlfriends.

Now, I do that kind of stuff on a regular basis (except the parties, because well, people don't really have those too often).

In college, I started drinking alcohol, and I met a lot more people. I even stayed out late and did really bad-ass things (note sarcasm here) like skip class and spend the night in other people's dorm rooms. But I acquired a boyfriend right away, and mellowed out from there.

So, in the past seven to ten years, I really haven't done much of anything that most people my age have. I was a late bloomer as it was, but having two serious boyfriends held me back even more.

And now I'm finally catching up with myself.

My parents and sister keep remarking that they don't understand my behavior. By behavior, I mean going out more with friends, staying out later than I ever have before, and being much more interested in guys and dating.

But I keep telling them that this is how normal 20-somethings act. Am I right? I don't think it's odd that I want to have fun for once in my life, that I've become more outgoing and more interested in being social.

Yeah, it may not be my usual style to want to get the phone number of a random and drunk but totally hot guy at a bar. It may not be like me to be interested in someone even if I don't see any relationship potential. And it may not be normal for me to want to stay out all night just chilling instead of sleeping.

But that's the thing about growing up. You've gotta do it sometime. You've gotta try new things. You've gotta allow yourself to experience all that life has to offer.

So what if I'm five years late on all this stuff? All that matters is I'm doing it now.

And not cause I need to catch up, but because I'm finally ready for it.

Maybe I'm not behind in life after all. Maybe I'm just getting comfortable with my own pace.

3 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Sky said...

I also used to feel a few years behind everyone else (but for other reasons).

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree. So what if you haven't done the things others have done or if you've done them late? As long as you're happy with with who you are now, none of that should matter! After all, it is your life and you choose to live just the way you want. :)

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I agree with Cinthia. Enjoy your life. Just try to be careful, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet