Friday, August 18, 2006

Revelations

It's been 17 days since my last post.

Normally, I'd sit here and apologize to all my readers who have checked my blog in the past two-plus weeks only to find nothing. Over and over again.

I'd apologize if the reason for my absence was laziness. And I'd apologize if the reason was a lack of creativity and ideas. But those, my friends, are not what has ailed me these past weeks.

I've simply been swept away with life.

I've realized that the more I'm in the blogosphere--both writing and lurking--the less I'm in my life. Because as cool as this whole blog thing is, let's face it, it's not real life.

When I'm here, I lose myself in something. Something that I immensely enjoy, yes, but also something that's maybe not the best thing for me. I live vicariously through other people's blogs, and that deters me from living on my own.

And I write so much in my own blog about my thoughts, dreams and emotions that they begin to lose all real meaning. I overanalyze them and convince myself of things that don't really make sense, or aren't really "true."

So, I unknowingly gave myself a break the past few weeks. I just let life take over, and I didn't worry about frantically thinking of angsty topics to keep up the momentum on my blog.

I'd much rather be living my life--doing things that keep me busy and give me a sense of accomplishment--than writing in this blog. I love writing, and I love blogging, and I love everyone involved in this great blogging universe, but it's not really worth me worrying about it, is it?

I shouldn't look at the calendar and freak out because I see that it's a Tuesday and that I wrote my last blog entry on a Tuesday which means it's been at least a week since I wrote something. Blogging shouldn't be a chore. It should just come naturally.

I figure I'll just let it ride from now on. I'll let the words out when they come to me. But I won't under any circumstances force myself to open up a new post only to sit there and stare at the blank screen. If I don't feel like writing, I won't be writing. If I'm too busy with friends or school or any number of other things, I won't be writing.

When I have a moment of clarity to really think, that's when I'll be writing. Not when I'm simply bored, but when I'm inspired.

That inspiration could come every day. Or it could come only every two weeks.

See ya when I see ya. And until then, remember that life does exist outside the comforting confines of the computer screen. Sometimes we all have to step outside our comfort zone to remind ourselves of how capable we really are.

6 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger angst on the outskirts said...

You mean... there's stuff going on outside my apartment/office?

I don't buy it.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freaky, the last few days, it's like everyone is sort of doubting their joural/blog. There's you, there's a friend of mine and even I had a little blurty-identity crisis, but I took care of that.

It's good that you decided to only write when you really feel like it, because that is how it should be. It's the only way to say what you mean and mean what you say.
My friend is probably going to give up her journal, I hope you won't. It ís different from the Real World, but that's exactly what makes it so attractive. And I just love reading your blog, I love getting to know someone from friggin' Washington DC like this. I know it's not the same as just meeting a person in a pub and having a drink together, but blogs can be so charming, yours certainly is.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I am a firm believer in quality over quantity. Your posts are always excellent, so I never give a thought to how often they come.

Like almost any activity, blogging can be either a help or a hinerance to a person's life.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger MommyHeadache said...

I've lurked here before and I will say, your posts are so good, I'm willing to wait until inspiration strikes.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have no life outside the computer screen and I'm happy with it.

But you have to do what works for you, and if going out and living life outside the blogging world makes you happy, then by all means go for it! :)

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who should you feel obligated to write for? There are those that write simply to admire the hits and comments they receive, and then there are others that write when clarity strikes. Such are people and life is what makes of them. If you feel obligated to write for others then where's the joy. Not for people, nor success, but for thyself is the key.
Sorry for the long winded hem and haw. Nice Piece.
--Stupor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet