Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Belated Memoriam

I meant to write a post about 9/11 yesterday.

But I didn't.

In fact, after deeply conteplating what the day meant to me--and to so many other people--on my drive in, thoughts about it vanished almost completely. I got carried away with work and then with class, and with everything else that normally bogs my mind down in the course of an overcast Monday.

I even complained about the weather, the fact that I was tired, and the prospect of going to a five-hour class. I believe I even wrote in one e-mail "Why does today suck so bad?"

And I must say I'm rather ashamed of myself. Yesterday sucked, yes, but not because of my mundane and trivial problems. It sucked because of something that happened five years ago that our nation--and possibly the world--will never forget. History changed on September 11, 2001. I feel I must acknowledge that. I must put my life in perspective.

And yet, at the same time, maybe it's good that I was able to let go yesterday. That I was able to be so ignorant. I suppose that makes life easier.

It's just like with my dad's cancer. If I constantly think about it, I can't possibly lead a healthy life. I can't concentrate on anything important because what he is going through so easily trumps anything I'm going through. Thinking of him being sick makes me feel sick.

I know it's important to remember and to honor those who lost their lives and those who became heroes on that day five years ago. But there is only so much we can give of ourselves--as individuals, and as a nation.

Now, I'm talking from the perspective of someone who was as detached from that day as anyone could be; I wasn't even in the DC area when it happened, and I didn't know anyone directly affected by the tragedy. So I know that makes all of this easier for me. I know I might sound ignorant.

But I can't help thinking...when are we going to let ourselves heal?

I guess the answer is that it isn't up to us. It's up to time. It's up to the next generation. It's up to the world.

Or perhaps this is something so cataclysmic that we will never heal from it.

And maybe we shouldn't.

My heart and thoughts go out to anyone affected, no matter how remotely, by the events of September 11, 2001. May you continue to gain strength and peace in the wake of such a life-changing event.

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laisser le temps au temps.

"Leave time to time", it says, it's a quote from former French president Mitterand. I do believe the wounds of the US will heal. You'll still have the scars, but which nation hasn't? You will never forget it, and thank god for that. And hopefully, like the scar on my shin that warns me about climbing trees, these scars will serve as a reminder as well.
I saw bits of the memorial service in NY. There was a woman who quoted Edna St. Vincent Millay: "I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned."

I guess that sums it up nicely.

And nice reading you again!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sleepy Girl said...

Mathieu, how eloquent! You definitely articulated how I feel about the situation. And Edna St. Vincent Millay is brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to A Sleepy Girl's Thoughts on Life!


powered by Bloglet